Taken from metallian, my recap of the past year:
- What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before? Took a serious vacation. Went swimming in the Caribbean. Got published.
- Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make those things.
- Did anyone close to you give birth? My co-worker Paul's wife had twins recently.
- Did anyone close to you die? This year? Not that I can remember. I know someone will come up later, and I'll feel like a shit. But I don't live in Type O Negative's dark world where those around me are always dying.
- What countries did you visit? On the cruise jenniever and I visited Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, the British Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas.
Recently, we also went to Mexico. ¡Viva Circus Mexicus!
On these trips, I realized that the sun's not quite the enemy I believed it to be for most of my formative years.
I remember being really judgmental of teachers and others in my life who were always going off on vacation. I thought it was a waste of time and money, and that people should just move if they're never home. Now, having experienced some awesome trips, I understand. Al Ernst, the teacher at Saint Joe's who went to a different country every summer, no longer seems quite so insane.
- What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004? Not much. Things were pretty amazing, I can only hope for more of the same. Maybe a little more creative output.
- What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 2nd, for obvious reasons.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year? Starting up classes again, and doing so well in the class I've feared for years.
- What was your biggest failure? Screwing up here and there at work, not handling money better. Nothing all too serious, luckily.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope, fortunately. Maybe a case of drama fever.
- What was the best thing you bought? KotOR 2? Halo 2? UT2K4? Nope. I think it would have to be the cruise tickets.
- Whose behavior merited celebration? Where do I begin? I've been fortunate to have great people in my life. petemagyar for letting jenniever crash with us. jenniever for being an amazing girlfriend. runstaverun and graye for helping me understand the cosmos. blackbytes and mrfantasy for encouraging me. windexcowboy for co-writing with me and helping me understand some concepts in my schoolwork.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? A few customers, the masses.
- Where did most of your money go? I should keep better track of this, but I know my biggest expense was definitely rent.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about? Mexico, cessna182's wedding, the cruise, the parties, jenniever graduating, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Rudy's wedding, and taking classes again.
- What song will always remind you of 2004? Switchblade. Totally. Between the fireworks and the rain and the absurdity of being in Mexico for the weekend just for that reason, it all just came together perfectly. I haven't felt a pure moment of rapture like that in many months. Sure, I didn't get to see the KoL creators. Sure, I was going to have a hell of a time come Monday morning. All of that faded away. A cheap taco in one hand, a shot of tequila in the other hand, a beer in my pocket, and a huge smile on my face.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? Happier. Totally. And more importantly, much more mellow.
- thinner or fatter? Thinner. Stronger. petemagyar and I have made some nice gains with our lifting. Oh, and my hair's much healthier too.
- richer or poorer? Actually, about the same. Unless you're counting debt, in which case I'm much richer.
- What do you wish you'd done more of? Reading. Writing in my LJ. Creating.
- What do you wish you'd done less of? Worrying.
- How will you be spending Christmas? With jenniever's family. Though cessna182 and new wife will be in town for the week, so I'll get to see them as well!
- Did you fall in love in 2004? Yes, though we first started seeing each other right before the year began, I guess we didn't fall in love really until this year.
- How many one-night stands? None, unless redvector counts.
- What was your favorite TV program? Joe Schmo 2 or Arrested Development.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Not really. There's very few people on this little rock that I hate.
- What was the best book you read? That's a rough question, as jenniever dropped many books on me. cessna182 introduced me to Forever War, jenniever gave me Ender's Game in a similar military thread. But honestly, I think it would have to be Bluebeard or The New York Trilogy, both also introduced to me by jenniever.
- What was your greatest musical discovery? Only God Can Judge Me.
- What did you want and get? To start classes again, to get into better shape, and to have a good life.
- What did you want and not get? Fame and celebrity.
- What was your favorite film of this year? Either Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Garden State. Though Super Size Me and Fahrenheit 9/11 were also well worth watching.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Had a party, some people came. I turned 26. Saw Iron Maiden a week after my actual birthday.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? My year was pretty satisfying. I know it seems like I'm rehashing the same comment over and over, but I only hope that most years of my life are as wonderful as this one. 2003 was pretty amazing. 2004 was even more incredible. This is a great streak, and I hope it continues.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? I turned into a beach bum until recently. Flip flops, shorts, and loose tropical clothing. Quite uncharacteristic for those who know me. Freaked many people out. maidoftheshore was extremely upset by this.
- What kept you sane? South Park. Good books. Great video games. petemagyar and jenniever. Rue de Jardin.
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? shmivejournal. Doesn't everyone?
- What political issue stirred you the most? Gay rights. It's getting to be re-god-damn-diculous. And the FCC running amok.
- Who did you miss? The friends I've drifted apart from. The family I've broken away from. CSers.
- Who was the best new person you met? I'd have to pick one of jenniever's friends that I didn't meet until after New Year's Eve.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004: Relax. Seriously. Like runstaverun's former roomie preached, except no 420 necessary. Once a day just sit down and do what you need to. Self medicate, meditate, masturbate, read, take a walk around your city, watch your favorite show, listen to your favorite band, whatever it takes to set you right. Most methods take less than ten minutes. Do that once a day, and life will be a much more enjoyable endeavor.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: I know it's already quoted by some e-celebrity, but this is what came to mind...
``Life is grand, love is real, and beauty is everywhere.''
Normally I would never do those things, but hell.
Turned in my database last night. I'm about to get ready to go to The School@Columbia for their big holiday party. jenniever's hoping for me to leave soon, and I've already taken full advantage of today being a mysticality day.